Dark circles around the eyes, also referred to under the famous ‘racoon eyes,’ or “panda eyes,” are a common concern for a variety of people. They can affect anyone and tend to be caused by fatigue, age, and lifestyle causes. If you’re searching for the right methods to diminish the appearance of dark circles, you’ve found the right spot. Our experts spoke with us who shared the causes and treatment options that work for dark circles.
Causes of Dark Circles
Understanding the cause for dark circle formation is vital prior to pursuing solutions. Dr Ramdas Senior Dermatologist Kamineni Hospitals LB Nagar, Hyderabad, explained the reasons of dark circles in the following manner:
- Genetics may cause dark circles. Thin skin under the eyes causes blood vessels to be more obvious.
- The skin is thinner as ageing progresses, which can cause wrinkles and dark circles. Additionally, allergies can cause swelling and retention of fluid that can lead to the appearance of dark circles and puffiness.
- Sleep deprivation can cause dilation of blood vessels in the eye area and make dark circles appear more noticeable.
- Lifestyle-related factors, like drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes and a poor diet can be a factor in the development of dark circles.
Treatment For Dark Circles
Dr. Ramdas stated, “While it may be challenging to completely eliminate dark circles under your eyes, there are various strategies and treatments available to manage and reduce their appearance.” The efficacy of these strategies will vary based on the cause behind the dark circles as well as the type of skin you have. It is therefore important to speak with a dermatologist or skin health professional to create the most appropriate approach to address the specific issues you have.
Find eye creams with components like hyaluronic acids, peptides and vitamin C and Retinol. These ingredients may help to hydrate the skin, boost collagen production, and decrease darkness around the eyes with time. As per The Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery, their ease of use, accessibility, and the possibility of reversal using the hyaluronidase enzyme make them a viable alternative to treat periorbital insufficiency, which can result in shadows under the eyes.
Dr. Ramdas advised, “Wear sunscreen and sunglasses to protect the delicate skin around your eyes from the sun’s harmful UV rays, which can exacerbate dark circles.”
The effects of dehydration can make dark circles more visible. Drink lots of fluids to ensure your skin is well-hydrated. Go here to learn how to keep the correct water balance.
Dr. Ramdas said, “If allergies are a contributing factor, seek medical advice to manage your allergies effectively. Antihistamines and allergy shots can help reduce inflammation and puffiness.”
It is important to ensure that you are getting enough rest. You should aim for at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep every evening to minimize your dark circle appearance resulting from lack of sleep.
Also Read: Do You Sleepwalk? Expert Explains Its Causes, Risk Factors, And Treatment
Applying chilled or cold tea bags on your eyes for about 10 minutes will reduce puffiness, and dark circles become less visible.
It is a quick and effective method to conceal dark circles for a short period of time. Make use of a concealer that complements your skin tone, and apply it sparingly to create an unnatural appearance.
This process involves the use of tiny needles to cause micro-injuries to the skin to stimulate collagen production and improving the appearance of dark circles.
In addition to these steps, Dr Ruby Sachdev Consultant Aesthetic Doctor and the founder of Skinnfit Medspa at Gleneagles Global Hospital, Bengaluru, offered a number of efficient treatment options for reducing dark circles. She stated that getting rid of dark circles is feasible when you have the right approach that is tailored to your individual requirements.
- Dermal Fillers: Hyaluronic Acid fillers are injected to increase volume and diminish look of hollows.
- Chemical Peels: They can assist in rejuvenating skin, decreasing pigmentation irregularities.
- Laser Therapy Laser treatments target melanin and increase collagen production, which improves the skin’s tone and texture.
- Lifestyle Changes: Aesthetic doctors can advise on sleep health, stress control and diet changes.
Dr. Ramdas stated, “Remember that consistent skin treatment practices and a healthy lifestyle and a good night’s sleep can go a great way in preventing and diminishing dark circles. Although you might not get flawless results, with the proper combination of treatments and self-care you can dramatically increase the appearance and look of your eye area and boost confidence.”