In need of some quick easy snack ideas for you or your kids that you know are healthy and filling? I often find that snacks are the most challenging meal for people when switching to a wholefood diet. Most of these easy recipes can be made ahead of time so you know you have have something healthy on hand when hunger strikes.
Check out below some of my favourite nutrient dense snacks that will fill you up and add variety into your diet.
1) Trail Mix:
- 2 cups of raw nuts: almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, hazel nuts and or cashews
- ¾ cup of raw seeds pumpkin and sunflower
- ½ a cup of raw cacao nibs
- ¼ cup of shredded coconut
- ¼ cup of organic goji berries
Mix all ingredients together to make a big batch and store in an airtight container in the fridge or a dark pantry.
Portion out a couple of handfuls for snack-sized portions to have when you are on the run, before or after exercise or during you mid afternoon energy slump.
2) Protein balls:
These are a great quick snack for on the go or for the kids’ afternoon tea.
- 1 cup mixed raw nuts
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 tablespoon raw protein powder
- Pinch of pink sea salt
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 2/3 cups nut butter (cashew, almond or ABC work well)
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 cup desiccated coconut, for rolling.
1. Place nuts and oats in a food processor and process until coarsely chopped. The mix should be slightly chunky to help hold the balls together.
2. Place nut and oat mixture in a large mixing bowl and stir through the cacao, cinnamon, maca, protein powder and sea salt. Add the nut butter and rice malt syrup.
3. Using your hands, rub the ingredients together. The mix should be quite dry and will not stick together.
4. Gradually add in the almond milk, using your hands to work the moisture through the mixture.
5. Once mix starts to come together, shape mixture into balls.
6. Roll in desiccated coconut and store in an airtight container in the fridge to harden up before serving.
These can last for up to two weeks in the fridge
3) Nut butter boats
Load a few celery sticks with some nut butter such as ABC spread or almond butter. You can then top them with some raw nuts or sultanas or dried goji berries.
4) Boiled eggs dipped in hummus
5) Oat cookies
Great for a healthy treat!
- 1/4 cup of rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon of almond meal or ground flaxseed
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of organic cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of goji berries, dried cranberries, blueberries, sultanas or raw cacao nibs
- Grease or line a baking tray
1. Flatten mixture into desired shapes on try
2. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown at 175 degrees.
6) Mary’s gone crackers
These crackers are delicious and so healthy and really pack a punch in terms of nutrition.
Top crackers with:
- Nut butter of choice and sliced banana or apple and sprinkled with some cinnamon.
- Or spread avocado, sliced cherry tomato, basil leaves and a sprinkle pink salt and pepper.
- Or spread with avocado, sliced tomato and some organic tasty or ricotta cheese
7) Home made sweet potato or kale chips
Sweet Potato chips:
- 2 organic sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Pink salt and your choice of herbs to season.
- Preheat over at 120 degrees Celsius, position tray in middle of oven.
- Rinse and dry the sweet potato and cut them thinly.
- Tossed slice sweet potato through coconut oil.
- Lay out in single layer on baking sheet and cook for 2hrs, flip them at 1hr
- Remove once crisp and brown, let rest for 10 minutes then sprinkle with salt and any herbs.
- Remove steams from kale leaves
- Place on baking try
- Drizzle with coconut or olive oil
- Sprinkle with pinch of pink sea salt and herbs and spices of choice
- Bake in the oven 120 degrees Celsius, until kale is crispy.
8) Quick seaweed sushi
Use some slices of roast chicken or canned salmon or tuna and add the following veggies:
- Shredded carrot
- Cucumber slices
- Avocado slices
- Slices of capsicum
Then wrap all ingredients in a seaweed nori wrap and serve.
Happy healthy snacking guys!